Will you be travelling this summer? Taking the right precautions will ensure that your hard-earned holidays are not spoiled by cyber-criminals.
It is common knowledge that you are particularly vulnerable to fraud and loss when you are travelling. In our day and age, this particularly applies to mobile devices, especially since their versatility has ensured that they have become irreplaceable. Prepare yourself for your travels by following our tips below:
Before your trip:
- Back-up all the data on your mobile device.
- Remove any data, apps and online accounts you don’t need from your mobile device.
- Organise alternative means of communication and payment.
- Print out all the documents you will need for your journey (e. g. flight tickets, vaccination passport).
- If you travel alone, specify an emergency contact, and advise that person beforehand that you have done so.
During your trip:
- Keep all your alternative means of communication and payment and your travel documents separate from your mobile device.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi hotspots. Only ever use secure hotspots provided by companies you trust (e. g. your hotel).
- Remain vigilant, and bear our “5 steps for your digital security” in mind.
After your trip:
- Back up your data.
- Check all your transactions.
- Change all passwords for any online accounts you have been using during your travels.
- Notify your emergency contact of your safe return.