It is relatively simple to temporarily deactivate the autorun function in Windows. To do so, press and hold the “Shift” key on your keyboard. Then connect the external storage medium to your computer and only let go of the “Shift” key afterwards. This process prevents Windows from immediately executing programs and files on the external storage medium.
To permanently deactivate the autorun function in Windows 10, follow these instructions:
- Use [WINDOWS] + [I] to open settings and then click “devices”. Here, select “autorun”.
- You can now deactivate the slider for “Use autorun for all media and devices”. This completely deactivates the autorun function. You can however also leave the slider in its current position and select the desired action for every media type.
- Amongst others, there is the option to choose what happens whenever you insert a memory card. You can use the drop-down menu to select “Take no action” if you don’t want any automatic action for an option.
- It is also possible to configure this process for removable storage devices and their contents. In addition, you can also determine here whether DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are to be automatically played or not.
- Further down on this page you will also find the autorun function setting for external devices such as smartphones. Here, too, you can choose whether photos and videos for instance should be synchronised.