QR code scanners are convenient and used ever more frequently, for instance to pay QR invoices. But be careful when choosing your app!
You can find plenty of free QR code scanners on offer in both the Apple (iTunesStore) and Google stores (Google Play Store). Yet not all of them are safe to use, as there is a risk of them unintentionally redirecting you to phishing or subscription offer sites.
Please note that you no longer need any separate apps to scan QR codes. Most smartphones (iPhone / Android 9.0 or higher) have a QR code scanner already which can be accessed via their preinstalled camera app.
Protect yourself by following these tips in particular:
- Use the preinstalled camera app for scanning QR codes and your financial institution’s app for scanning QR invoices.
- If you would still like to use a separate QR code scanner app, you should only use one which shows you the QR code content first before processing it.
- Always check the link destination (domain name) or payment information after scanning any QR code before opening the target page or completing a transaction.
- Never allow anyone to talk you into payments using QR codes.
- Only ever use QR codes in situations you consider standard or safe.
Further information on QR invoices can be found here: www.ebas.ch/en/qr-invoices